Where to Stay
Rated #5 on TripAdvisor
A family focused escape, far enough away from the rambunctious spring breakers but close enough to all that Fort Myers Beach has to offer. We recently visited and stayed in the White Sand Villas, exclusive to the main building and feature stunning views of the gulf from screened-in patios.
We stayed in the 2 Bedroom Villa, one room has a King size bed, the other has 2 Queens. Additionally, the living area has a pull out sleeper sofa, easily could accommodate 5 people with plenty of breathing room. Each room comes equipped with a Washer / Dryer which is a nice amenity after a few days on the beach. The only downside to the White Sand Villas are the patios as they only comfortably fit 2 adults. Considering the room can accommodate 5, it would be way too cramped to all watch the sunset from the patio.
While the main pool is large in size, be aware, this resort is aimed towards families with children - all pools are for all ages.
The property continues to do updates and renovations which is great but there are areas like the restaurant that could use some love.
Overall, the Pink Shell is both highly rated amongst travelers and ranks high when comparing to the competition. If you're traveling with family or children I'd highly recommend you check out the Pink Shell!
Rated #9 on TripAdvisor
The DiamondHead Beach Resort & Spa is located about .5 miles past San Carlos Blvd and is walking distance to many of the beaches main attractions.
DiamondHead features functional and spacious 1-bedroom suites, well equipped to accommodate up to 4 people. The master bedroom has a King Size bed while the main living area has a Queen sleeper sofa with a memory foam mattress. Each suite is about 700 sq feet and features a large outdoor patio space overlooking the gulf, bay or pool. The rooms all seem to have a decent view but if you're looking for the best, splurge on the Gulf View - overlooking the sunset from your private patio never gets old.
The property has been recently renovated. New flooring in the rooms, updated on-site spa and they do a great job of keeping it maintained and clean.
One consideration is that DiamondHead only has 1 Bedroom options available. If you're looking for accommodations to fit 5+ people you'll need to either get 2 rooms or look at another property.
The pool area is large and they have a diverse selection of activities happening on the property from exercise to karaoke. If you're looking for a comfortable and romantic getaway, DiamondHead is the place for you!
Rated #2 on TripAdvisor
GullWing is a bit further down on Fort Myers Beach off Estero, which means, even more quiet and relaxation.
The property features 66 rooms and ranges in 1, 2 and 3 bedroom setups. This is the perfect hotel for large families and groups as some rooms can accommodate up to 8 adults.
The property is also part of the SunStream Hotel Group like Diamond Head and it shows in the beauty of the resort and the hotel amenities. The hotel also features a unique elevated tennis court that you must check out. GullWing is our hidden gem of Fort Myers Beach and whether you're looking for a family getaway or couples retreat you can't go wrong here!
Things to Do
- Times Square: The main strip of shopping, restaurants and beach activities right when you arrive off San Carlos Blvd.
- Fort Myers Pier: The views, street performers, fishing, and people-watching - the pier has it all. Find a parking spot and check it out.
- Stop at Sun Harvest Citrus: This local market has every kind of citrus you could want. Everything is fresh squeezed and hyper local. Plan accordingly as the lines can get long, thankfully they have free samples to hold you over.
- Six Mile Cypress Hiking: Get back to nature and take an easy hike along the boardwalk of this nature preserve. It's open 8AM to Sunset and they offer free guided tours, check the schedule here!
Where to Eat
- Pinchers: This is a guilty pleasure (and one of my Mother's favorite spots) Don't expect luxury dining, but you will get amazing fresh crab and seafood. They don't take reservations but do take 30 minute advance calls. Can't go wrong with anything on the menu, mussels and coconut shrimp are excellent!
- Sun Deck at Lani Kai: A rooftop restaurant inside the Lani Kai Hotel - I wouldn't recommend staying at the hotel but the restaurant features sweeping views of the beach and is a great spot for happy hour.
- Cibo: One of the best Italian restaurants in all of Fort Myers. It's about 20 minutes away from the beach but definitely worth the drive. I've found that in both LA and now Florida, some of the greatest places are in strip malls - don't be turned off by it!
- Heavenly Biscuit: The BEST breakfast right off Estero in Fort Myers Beach. This little spot is around the corner from Diamond Head. You will probably encounter a line, but be patient - it's well worth it.